A Guide to Free Natural Hazard Property Information

ThamesThere is no “one-stop shop” where you can access all natural hazard information about a Thames-Coromandel property. Some information is held by the Regional Council, and some by the District Council. Also, the District Council has not yet identified and mapped all natural hazards in its District Plan e.g. there is still no information on coastal flooding due to projected sea level rise. This can be confusing and frustrating if you are wanting to check out a particular property.

This Guide will help you find the best free information available on natural hazards, whether you are an existing property owner, or are thinking about buying or renting a property. (Always seek advice from an independent lawyer before signing a land sale and purchase contract.)

Waikato Regional Council Hazard Assessment

 The easiest and quickest way to get hazard information on a specific property is to make an online request for a hazard assessment from the Regional Council. It’s totally free and you usually get a reply within 48 hours. Just type “flood hazard information waikato regional council” into Google, or  use this link

Or, you can just phone through your request to 0800 800 401 or 07 859 0999

 ThamesSLRYou will just need the street address of the property (and preferably the Lot number) you are enquiring about, and your name and email. The Regional Council will reply in about 48 hours by email attaching a comprehensive hazard assessment for that property, including any hazard maps they hold. The service is entirely free, and the types of hazard and information covered in the assessment include:-

  • river flooding,
  • river bank erosion,
  • coastal flooding (inundation), and
  • coastal erosion.

 Thames-Coromandel District Council Maps Portal

The Thames-Coromandel District Council has hazard maps and District Plan maps showing river flooding and coastal erosion setback lines. But note that coastal flooding hazard areas are not included in these maps

Waikato Regional Council Coastal Flooding Simulator

If the property you are inquiring about is on the coast you will likely receive a map and information on coastal flooding potential in the Regional Council’s Hazard Assessment.    You can further investigate yourself whether the property may be subject to coastal flooding (inundation) by using the Regional Council’s coastal flooding simulator. The simulator allows you to investigate a range of scenarios of storm tide surges and possible sea-level rise up to 2m, and the simulator will produce indicative maps showing the extent and depth of potential coastal flooding. It is important to use the pre-defined water levels for a location because the height of the tides is different around the Coromandel Peninsula.

This video tutorial will help you correctly navigate and use the coastal flooding simulator.

LIM Report

A LIM Report from the Thames Coromandel District Council will provide some information on natural hazards, along with a lot of other additional information about the property. If you are purchasing a property, talk to your lawyer who will advise you about whether you should obtain a LIM report, and how much they cost.

If you wish to obtain a more detailed risk assessment than these sources provide, you should seek advice from suitably qualified professionals.

Get a downloadable .pdf of the Guide here